[Glastonbury] Mini install fest on my laptop

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 10 06:49:54 GMT 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 03:30:05AM +0000, Greg Browne wrote:
> Andy/Sean
>
> Personally having found Kanotix excellent, but with a few bugs, MEPIS
> a doddle, but not all programmes (packages?) worked and Ubuntu stable,
> I'll be evaluating Ubuntu and Mepis for myself. The documentation for
> Ubuntu puts it in the lead, for me anyway, as long as I can cope with
> both Gnome and KDE.
>
> Andy, from your summary, the deciding factor between the debian
> distros seems to be support which is where ubuntu must win out in the
> short term.
Yes, but without some level of Debian commitment behind them all of
the above might founder :( Much of the problem is timeliness of
updates/fixes and ease of updates. Apt-get helps - but each
of Mepis/Kanotix/Knoppix have to get their updates out from Debian
and sandwiched into their distro. Ubuntu effectively freeze the
Debian repository and mirror it.

> Q. Who is paying for all the server space and bandwidth for these
> updates and downloads? Someone has to. I just hope they keep doing so.

Mark Shuttleworth, the S African millionaire is subsidising Ubuntu
via his company Canonical.  ftp.uk.debian.org / open.hands.com
is Phil Hands - who must have a very co-operative ISP :)