[Glastonbury] Re: agenda for next meeting & a couple of queries

info at wccl.co.uk info at wccl.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 18:01:43 GMT 2005

This next meeting does sound Oh so interesting re win - lin and I wish I could
be there, but Wednesdays is about the worst day of the week - a bad day every
week as I have a very (very) early meeting every Thurs and have to prepare
for it on the Wed night. Well, I will see if I can come but very uncertain if
I can .............

I have Crossover - I think that's the right name - in which I can use some Win
applications. So far the only useful thing we've had time to load is
WordPerfect 11 for windows. It doesn't work properly!!! It's adequate for
emergency work but the mouse makes it hang every time. That is, one daren't
even touch the mouse when using it. I love WordPerfect - it is one of the few
Windows applications I like, it is one of my favourite applications of all
time (yes I am one of the notorious long-time Word Perfect fans) and I still
enter Win now and again to use it, as the famous visible vodes (not just
visible, but can be cut and pasted or moved with mouse... in the codes
window) make it so much more convenient to use than any other Word Processor
I've ever encountered. Indeed, it is ideal for setting up all kinds of
complicated stuff.

I haven't attempted to do anything remotely clever with WP 11 forWin in Linux.
There's very little one can do before you either have to use the mouse or
something else makes it hang. I can do plain typing and save and print! Even
so with all the crashes, it only takes a moment to open again and it's a boon
if I haven't time to go into win.

Maybe some day we'll have time to think about why it crashes. At the moment I
am just happy it's available. If anyone has any advice re using Crossover, I
am happy to hear, remembering I am non-tecchie!

I was frustrated the other day when working briefly in win because I couldn't
access files in the Linux partition. My son has sent me :

explore2fs-1.00pre6.zip

He says he uses this and it should be ok for finding the linux files from win.
The readme in this software is full of "be careful, backup everything before
using this.... it might explode your machine" kind of stuff which I imagine
is the writer very anxious not to be blamed if anything goes wrong and I can
quite undertand his feelings! But has anyone loaded this in win and does it
work OK? I am using Win98 SE. We don't want to update it until we have to
since I don't use it often enough to justify paying out for upgrades let
alone the hassle of reloading windows YET AGAIN............

Thanks for any advice
Ros