[Glastonbury] meetings

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Wed Jan 5 08:31:25 GMT 2005

Peter Fry wrote:

>I think meetings go better when there's a focus. It's all very well
>standing around watching people installing stuff on their hard drives but I
>think you could equally well ask newbie questions if the meeting had a bit
>more structure.

Yes, I missed the Blender one (which was meant to be rather good), but
can't help feeling that we have lost a little focus since the meeting
moved from T2 into the main building -- the previous room was far more a
traditional "classroom" layout, with a desk/board at the front and lines
of desks containing PCs facing forward... this new one has nobody at all
looking directly at the board; some looking into walls, others out of
windows and others gazing lovingly into each others' eyes across the
central table block...

Are there no other classrooms with less computers available, but a more
traditional layout that we could use? I feel that for more "lecture"
type meetings they would be better... sometimes, even, I think that
having too many machines can also be a bad thing. If you're having a
demo it is sometimes better to have as few distractions as possible, in
which case something like the library may be a better place to do it -
with just the one, presenter's, PC plugged in.

What do others think?