[Glastonbury] Photographs

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 9 13:40:00 GMT 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 11:41:31AM +0000, Ian Dickinson wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 23:07:50 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> Before I posted yesterday, I did check rpmfind.net to see if there was
> an up-to-date rpm for gphoto, and discovered there isn't. Hence the
> posting about the tarball. Andy's post prompted me to check again, and
> it turns out that the prepackaged versions of gphoto are indeed
> ancient, to get the current versions the package is gphoto2. Subtle
> but important difference, and how the heck anyone is supposed to know
> that ... Still, "yum install gphoto2" worked on Fedora, and I guess
> the equivalent would be true for the other distros.
>
> Ian

At the risk of sounding obvious: put the single word gphoto into
www.google.com. Follow the first link to www.gphoto.org. Read the first
paragraph. That should alert you to the fact that current packages are
possibly called gphoto2* ...

_USE_ the resources that are available to you: in the case of something
widely used like gphoto[2], the chances are that the distribution itself
has built it for you, somewhere. Unless you either (a) Really like
building stuff from source the harder way or (b) are working on
something that is effectively experimental/fast moving (like the acx100
drivers for my wireless card), you may never need to worry.

In the case of building modules for something under Debian - can I make
a discreet plug for module-assistant. Apt-get install it, then type
module-assistant overview. It will provide you with a gui of sorts to
select your desired kernel module, go off and download the source and
produce you a custom .deb to install. Takes a lot of the fun out of it -
but increases reliability :)

Andy