[Glastonbury] Hello again and thanks - Wireless Cards in Linux

Kelvin McNulty kelvin24 at gcircle.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 20:30:15 GMT 2005

On Thursday 13 January 2005 17:23, Phil Wood wrote:
> At the end of the month I hope to have the time for another attempt to
> get my laptop wireless using Linux. So the next meeting could be just at
> the right time for me. In the mean time of any of you have been
> successful in this I'd love to hear from you. Which distribution? Which
> wireless card?

Buffalo Air Station 11Meg (802.11b) card, model no. WLI-PCM-L11GP under SuSE
8.1, has been running really well for nearly 2 years. It was installed for me
by some guys from Psand (see Google) at a festival where they were running a
wireless network with satellite uplink. They did not have to install a
handler, they just wrote a bit of config, and it worked! I was so delighted,
really fast surfing while sitting in a field was wonderful! They said the OS
has everything in it to handle the card - an Orinoco chipset, or something.
If you want to try it, write to me off list and we'll arrange something. Or I
can tell you the config that I know.

HTH

Kelvin