[Glastonbury] File and printer sharing

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Jul 31 11:09:32 BST 2005

Last Saturday 30 July 2005 14:40, Damon Chaplin was like:
> On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 19:54 +0100, tim hall wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Right, I've got to the point with the Assembly Rooms network where I'm
> > going to need some help. It's taken somewhat longer than I expected, but
> > now I have four boxes all networked up, two running Ubuntu Hoary and two
> > running Debian Sarge. The network is nicely configured, I can send pings
> > all round and I can ssh happily between the Sarge boxes, which is all
> > well and good. The Ubuntu machines have all their ports closed as per
> > default. I'm not entirely sure how to open them, is that simply a
> > question of starting the relevant service from /etc/init.d/ or are they
> > locked down more than that? I might not bother, if I don't need to do
> > this.
>
> You may need to adjust the iptables configuration to allow connection to
> the samba ports. On Fedora this is in /etc/sysconfig/iptables. But I
> can't find it in Ubuntu.

No, I suspect this is handled differently under Debian. I use a custom script
in /etc/init.d and then update-rc.d it.

> This discussion seems to suggest that Ubuntu doesn't block any ports by
> default:
>   http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-31663.html
>
> It also looks like other people are still having problems with setting
> their iptables rules up:
>   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.general/85016

Uh huh. Good. I haven't actually enabled any iptables yet. I'll get the basics
working before I try to lock myself out. ;)

> > The Ubuntu clients can see the internet fine through the Debian gateway
> > box, now I want to share files and printers. Help please.
> >
> > I'm trying to configure samba, which I'm doing by playing with the values
> > in /etc/samba/smb.conf on each of the boxes. I can see all but one of the
> > Ubuntu machines, which I could probably solve by simply copying across
> > the smb.conf file, but how? remember, no ssh or anything. I suppose I
> > could do it via ftp, but that seems a little daft. However, I can't
> > access the shares on any machine. The problem I'm guessing lies with the
> > authentication, this is usually where I come unstuck. Does samba use
> > separate username/password values to main system? There seem to be so
> > many different authentication methods and I'm not sure which are supposed
> > to work together or conflict.
>
> I think the default on Ubuntu is to use encrypted passwords.
> In /etc/samba/smb.conf it has:
>    encrypt passwords = true
>
> The smb.conf man page says that to use encrypted passwords you need to
> use smbpasswd to set up and maintain passwords.
> (I think swat probably does all that for you.)

Ah ha! This explanation fits the problem neatly. I'll try this out tomorrow.

> The error message should probably tell you where it is going wrong, i.e.
> either "can't connect" or "authentication failed".

It's "authentication failed" - so this all seems reasonably clear. Thanks
Damon, this may well be the answer I was looking for.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk