[Glastonbury] File and printer sharing

Damon Chaplin damon at karuna.uklinux.net
Sat Jul 30 14:41:08 BST 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 19:54 +0100, tim hall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Right, I've got to the point with the Assembly Rooms network where I'm going
> to need some help. It's taken somewhat longer than I expected, but now I have
> four boxes all networked up, two running Ubuntu Hoary and two running Debian
> Sarge. The network is nicely configured, I can send pings all round and I can
> ssh happily between the Sarge boxes, which is all well and good. The Ubuntu
> machines have all their ports closed as per default. I'm not entirely sure
> how to open them, is that simply a question of starting the relevant service
> from /etc/init.d/ or are they locked down more than that? I might not bother,
> if I don't need to do this.

You may need to adjust the iptables configuration to allow connection to
the samba ports. On Fedora this is in /etc/sysconfig/iptables. But I
can't find it in Ubuntu.

This discussion seems to suggest that Ubuntu doesn't block any ports by
default:

It also looks like other people are still having problems with setting
their iptables rules up:
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.general/85016

> The Ubuntu clients can see the internet fine through the Debian gateway box,
> now I want to share files and printers. Help please.
>
> I'm trying to configure samba, which I'm doing by playing with the values
> in /etc/samba/smb.conf on each of the boxes. I can see all but one of the
> Ubuntu machines, which I could probably solve by simply copying across the
> smb.conf file, but how? remember, no ssh or anything. I suppose I could do it
> via ftp, but that seems a little daft. However, I can't access the shares on
> any machine. The problem I'm guessing lies with the authentication, this is
> usually where I come unstuck. Does samba use separate username/password
> values to main system? There seem to be so many different authentication
> methods and I'm not sure which are supposed to work together or conflict.

I think the default on Ubuntu is to use encrypted passwords.
In /etc/samba/smb.conf it has:
   encrypt passwords = true

The smb.conf man page says that to use encrypted passwords you need to
use smbpasswd to set up and maintain passwords.
(I think swat probably does all that for you.)

The error message should probably tell you where it is going wrong, i.e.
either "can't connect" or "authentication failed".

Damon