[Glastonbury] Happy Birthday Sarge!

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 7 01:09:23 BST 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 12:02:49AM +0100, tim hall wrote:
> Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 released
>
> I know this will be of passing relevance to anyone who uses one of those other
> distros, but for anyone who has been following the three year development of
> this Debian point release, it's a time for celebration indeed. Sarge has just
> gone stable. I can hardly believe it.
>
> Apparently the new 'testing' is to be called 'Etch' and will feature Xorg.
> Woo!
>
> cheers,
>
> tim hall
> http://glastonburymusic.org.uk

Not to be picky :) This is a MAJOR  release. The last point release was
on 3 June - version 3.0r6. Just because the numbering is barely
incremented doesn't mean that it hasn't changed.

As a Slashdot poster put it - Debian will use xorg when its ready for
enough architectures - they've only got it on four or five so far -
but that includes i386/amd64/ia64/ppc - so 90% of the world is covered
now but x.org is in transition in their build scripts and so on so
Debian may wait a fraction longer.

Andy