[Glastonbury] Mandrake

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 20:46:21 GMT 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 12:44:40PM +0000, info at wccl.co.uk wrote:

> I read yesterday an article about a garden specifically of poisonous plants
> that is being opened to the public and therein is mentioned the Mandrake
> plant, which screams when pulled up or cut or something, I forget the exact
> detail.

Mandrake: Poisonous plant. Used as a hypnotic / to induce trance, in
love potions etc. etc. Root is man shaped / woman shaped. [Mediaeval and
earlier legend: Plant screams when pulled up. Scream fatal to the
hearer: put wax in your ears, loosen soil round plant, tie (hungry) dog
to plant, drive dog away. Plant pulled up, dog takes the hit and dies.]
I first read about this when I was about 8 :) Lots of nice illustrations
of this from mediaeval fables and bestiaries, especially those available
from the Bibliotheque Nationale in France.

> (Sounds like an intresting place to visit. But is in North of England.)
>
> I presume the Linux Mandrake is that cute Duck I like to have travelling
> across the screen sometimes in the screensaver. Did they take into account
> the plant?

There is a comic book hero Mandrake the Magician. Mandrake have actually
had problems with the name: now that they've merged with the Brazilian
distribution Connectiva it is possible they may change the name of the
new company. Earlier versions had a Tux type penguin with a wand: now I
think it's just the wand or stars that you see as the background.

> How many times have you been asked this?!

Only once so far: this is my opportunity to show off more useless
knowledge :)

Take care,

Andy
> Ros
>
> Wells Computer Consultants Ltd
> Systems that Count

If the systems can count: are they free of the various Intel division
bugs? "We are Pentium of Borg: division is futile, you will be
approximated" :)