[Glastonbury] Re: Glastonbury Digest, Vol 71, Issue 3

info at wccl.co.uk info at wccl.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 13:52:54 GMT 2005

Tim: > I assume you're familar with this:
> http://www.tldp.org/FAQ/WordPerfect-Linux-FAQ/

I can't recall ever seeing it before, not that that means a lot as I'm so busy
I don't surf much. I have searched once or twice for WordPerfect for Linux
and ended up on the WordPerfect website. Perhaps I didn't look far enough in
google list.

Having only used MSOffice and KOffice
> previously, I find OOffice by far the most straightforward.

My experience the same. KOffice is better for one or two things, tho' I can't
recall offhand what - certainly it did add up columns properly using sigma! -
- but really I haven't used KOffice much.

> I have never
> had a good time with Corel products, I was put off by their bloated art
> packages and they completely lost my sympathy when they sold out.

I've never had anything to do with their art packages and my one attempt to do
so was a failure. I had no manuals, it was an old version, I couldn't make
much sense of it as a complete novice on their stuff, and decided it wasn't
any use to me.... but I liked immensely how they later adapated some of that
to the WordPerfect suite and gave us heaps and heaps of clipart and
additional fonts.

> I've been party to many of these discussions in the musical world, where it
> has been suggested that we put pressure on the makers of Cubase, Sibelius

I remember Sibelius coming out and am pleased to hear it's still around. I saw
it presented at an Acorn show and at the time it was thought pretty awesome.
My younger son Tom, studying music at the time at school, was certainly awed
as it was far better than anything he'd seen before. There were fervent Acorn
fans in this family although we didn't regrettably at the time have an Acorn
good enough to run Sibelius for Tom - their machines were so expensive.

I was fascinated by Acorn machines because of my "visual" approach to
computing. I had to use an IBM PS2 at the time, drab DOS and blue screen
stuff, AIX green screen.Doubtless the AIX was great for the command line
workers but I wanted graphics. All I had was a low selection of garish
Windows colours. Tim had super graphics and heaps of gradations of colours on
his delightful little Arc and could do graphical and DTP things on it (with
so little memory) that I could only dream of as I wrestled with blue screen
WP5.1. Then I saw the more advanced Acorns at the Acorn shows and I really
was awed at what they could do besides the then new MS Windows. The colours
on the Acorn screen, the gloriously realistic photo-backdrops, etc etc. This
was I think the start of my loathing of Windows because it seemed so ugly
visually and never seemed to catch up with Acorn whilst Acorn was still
prominent.

The best thing of all was one Acorn exhibition where they had a RISC PC
running some films, cooking a pizza, running a heater and various other
tasks, far too much for any contemporary non-risc (as they were then) PC. And
the big joke that PCs were electric heaters because they produced so much
heat. I've often since referred to PCs as electric heaters. Upstairs at that
exhibition there was a large area where kids were enjoying themselves
smashing up old PCs with hammers etc.

My elder son still has his old Electron, Archimedes (I think he said not long
ago he still uses it occasionally for a few things) and not so long back
bought a RISC PC, one of those constructed in slices, rather intriguing. Not
made by Acorn these days but clearly some other co's are still keeping the
brand or the products going or was last I heard.

I was impressed by the revolutionary Acorn RISC, such as I understood of it as
a non-tecchie, and how important it became eventually. I had already known
about RISC through IBM as well - RS6000 for example which my husband has
worked on.

Ros Williams
Wells Computer Consultants Ltd