[Glastonbury] OO-2-Beta

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Fri Mar 18 11:48:46 GMT 2005

Last Friday 18 March 2005 09:39, Greg Browne was like:
> In case anyone hadn't noticed, Open Office 2 Beta (with word perfect
> support <G>) is now ready for download. It seems more stable than
> previous 1.9 versions but is a bit different from 1.1.4. I struggled
> to find one or two icons/shortcuts. The database (OO Base) seems very
> powerful.
>
> I have to admit that [[tiny type face]] I've only tried it in windows
> so far as I have no idea how to install an rpm or binary in a debian
> distro. Does anyone know of a simple 'howto' out there?
> Greg

You can install rpms using 'alien' I believe. I've never quite got round to
it. The other one is to compile it from source, however OpenOffice is _not_ a
good place to start learning about such things. OpenOffice will need a _lot_
of room to turn round in (CMIIW). Plus you'll need all the development tools
installed and even then the chances of a clean build are fairly slim, I would
guess. Personally I will wait until it descends into Debian Sarge (sometime
next year *-) and I can get the benefit of others' misfortunes without having
the hassle of fighting with it myself.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk