[Glastonbury] here we stand... on a rocky shore...

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Mon Nov 14 07:39:11 GMT 2005

Tony Sumner wrote:

>I wonder. I'd like some support if you have the patience. I've got
>Kubuntu 5.10 and I want to get the sound working. I have a Creative
>AWE 64 soundcard and the alsa driver is in place but no sound, viz I
>can't play a CD. A trawl on the net came up with the suggestion that I
>should d/l the alsa driver, unzip it and run ./configure. That might
>work but what happens is that it says there is no C compiler in $PATH
>and I find that gcc has gone on holiday and I now have
>   /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux-gnu/3.3.6/cc1
>   /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.0.2/cc1
>so should I do   ln -s /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.0.2/cc1 gcc   ?

I had issues with sound on Ubuntu (at present I don't have a working
Ubuntu install) on my old laptop - the dead one - and it was to do with
the "other" sound driver for Linux which Ubuntu was defaulting to, which
is a process called "esd".

Have you tried doing 'ps -fe | grep esd' and then killing that process?
If you do, does sound return?