[Glastonbury] here we stand... on a rocky shore...

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Nov 14 12:51:06 GMT 2005

On Sunday 13 November 2005 23:45, Tony Sumner was like:
> I wonder. I'd like some support if you have the patience. I've got
> Kubuntu 5.10 and I want to get the sound working. I have a Creative
> AWE 64 soundcard and the alsa driver is in place but no sound, viz I
> can't play a CD. A trawl on the net came up with the suggestion that I
> should d/l the alsa driver, unzip it and run ./configure. That might
> work but what happens is that it says there is no C compiler in $PATH
> and I find that gcc has gone on holiday and I now have
>    /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux-gnu/3.3.6/cc1
>    /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.0.2/cc1
> so should I do   ln -s /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.0.2/cc1 gcc   ?

Why do you want to compile ALSA from source when you already have it
installed? You probably want to configure ALSA. Do you have alsaconf
installed? Try running that. If no joy then you may find some useful tips
here:
http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/DocumentsFaq#ALSA
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Creative+Labs&card=Sound+Blaster+64+Value.&chip=sb16%2C+emu8000&module=sbawe
http://alsa.opensrc.org/

If you need further help, use this script to get some useful diagnostics which
can be appended to your posts.
http://alsa.opensrc.org/aadebug
--
cheers,