[Glastonbury] soundcard configure

Tony Sumner tony at whittycat.me.uk
Tue Nov 15 14:35:52 GMT 2005

I have started a new thread because this has got a bit away from the
mailing list. I hope that's ok; I am not sure what the protocol is.

On Nov 14, 2005, Andrew M.A. Cater was like:

> Don't link the stub to gcc - apt-get install a gcc instead?

I did apt-get install gcc-4.0 and installed something though I don't
know where it went. No matter; I don't need it for now anyway.

On Nov 14, 2005, tim hall was like:

> If [Tony] is using kubuntu then surely he would be having problems
> with artsd?  esd is the GNOME sound daemon.

Yes, ps -ef grep said that artsd was running, but I don't think this is
the main problem ...

On Nov 14, 2005, tim hall was like:

> Why do you want to compile ALSA from source when you already have it?

Well no I don't. It's just that I trawled this help from the LVLUG archive
(Las Vegas!) that suggested I run ./configure and that needed gcc. But
I don't think that would do anything that alsaconf wouldn't do.

> Do you have alsaconf installed? Try running that.

I installed and ran it. I told it I had a AWE 64, it asked some questions,
said '1 card configured' and tried to run amixer, which bombed 'no such file',
probably referring to /dev/dsp.

> http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/DocumentsFaq#ALSA

This asked me to check permissions on /dev/dsp, etc but I have no /dev/dsp*
at all. I don't have /proc/asound either.

> http://alsa.opensrc.org/aadebug

I ran the script and here is (the first bit of) the result:

> Linux murgatroyd.example.com 2.6.12-9-386 #1 Mon Oct 10 13:14:36 BST 2005
> i686 GNU/Linux
>
> Loaded Modules --------------------------------------------
>
> Modprobe Conf ---------------------------------------------
> Warning: module config file does not exist
> This means any kernel modules will not be auto loaded
> See your linux distro docs on how to create this file
>
> Proc Asound -----------------------------------------------
> Warning: /proc/asound does not exist
> This indicates that ALSA is not installed correctly
> Check various logs in /var/log for a clue as to why

I do not have a file /etc/modules.conf. I do have /etc/modules with a
list of modules to be loaded and alsa is not in the list. So is alsa
installed or not? I did 'apt-get install alsa' and it came back with
'alsa-base is already the latest version' so I think yes. Looking in the
logs I found this in dpkg.log

> 2005-11-11 17:36:59 status installed alsa-utils 1.0.8-1ubuntu1
> 2005-11-11 17:36:59 status installed alsa-utils 1.0.8-1ubuntu1
> 2005-11-11 17:57:58 status installed gstreamer0.8-alsa 0.8.11-0ubuntu5
> 2005-11-11 18:14:41 status installed alsa-base 1.0.9b-4
> 2005-11-11 18:14:41 status installed alsa-utils 1.0.9a-4ubuntu5

is that ok?

I am totally lost. It is behaving as if I have no soundcard but I have; it
works fine in Windows. If I want to play a CD or listen to Radio4 I can
fire up Windows but for several reasons I'd rather not...

I am getting all this lovely advice and not contributing much. What I
can offer is some programs to solve puzzles, eg coffin cube,
pentaminos, hexamonds, sudoku. The last rather misses the point unless
you are keen on winning prizes but you can use it to check the
difficulty of any particular puzzle. A guy in the Scillies is working
on a sudoku editor, which sounds good; the idea is that if you have more
choices than you can hold in your head you can try one and see if it
is ok.

Tony Sumner