[Glastonbury] question

peter cole peter.t.cole at lineone.net
Sat Nov 26 10:57:34 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 20:34 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 05:49:27PM +0000, peter cole wrote:
> > We are looking at expanding our set up at work with another 8 Unix
> > stations These stations have a specific image loaded on the hard drive
> > so we dont want to install any other software as when an update comes
> > the drives are wiped an a new image is installed.
> >
> Is this AIX / Solaris? [As a side issue, where do you work?]

AIX

and it's close to Yeovil

> > 2 problems email and office suite.
> >
> > i could use netscape for email but the home directories are held off
> > site. As a nis server is used for authentication
> > So i was thinking about a webbed based email system run off our linux
> > server like php groupware e groupware etc. At present we are using
> > exchange.
> >
> Continue using Exchange: use one of
>
> 	Evolution and the Exchange connector "widget"
>
> 	Thunderbird??
>
> 	Citrix Metaframe and the ICA client software (commercial and
> 	expensive - but it means you can talk direct to a Windows
> 	Terminal Server)

yes i can setup netscape but /home is not local on the machines and is
out of my control as it is on our customers site so email getting stored
there is there is a problem with home you loose your information
and /home is not backed up so file there at your own risk.

> > Any body got any ideas on the office side of things ?
> > may be a remote x session but don't really want them to have to log out
> > of there existing session to do this.
>
> Crossover Office and MS Office :(
>
> OpenOffice 2.0

The big issue is that we use a customer image for the OS and Catia and
any upgrades and the images get replaced so don't want to install other
software if it can be avoided

> > These system are CAD station running Catia
> >
> > so open to ideas. By the way hardware and software for each seat is in
> > the region of 35K Shame it does not run on Linux !!
> >
> Catia v5 _does_ run on Linux - Google for Catia and Linux confirms it
> as more than a mere rumour and the first hit suggests it might even
> install - it's just that Dassault haven't decided whether to release it
> or not - and IBM aren't supporting it yet. I'm sure they will - though
> most of the stuff I've just seen suggests that the Windows version is
> better/faster/best thing since sliced bread (for relatively small
> stuff - say less than 35000 items :)
It's V4 we are using as that is what our customers use. I have heard
about the above but not tried it.