[Glastonbury] question

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 24 20:40:39 GMT 2005

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 05:49:27PM +0000, peter cole wrote:
> We are looking at expanding our set up at work with another 8 Unix
> stations These stations have a specific image loaded on the hard drive
> so we dont want to install any other software as when an update comes
> the drives are wiped an a new image is installed.

Is this AIX / Solaris? [As a side issue, where do you work?]

> 2 problems email and office suite.
>
> i could use netscape for email but the home directories are held off
> site. As a nis server is used for authentication
> So i was thinking about a webbed based email system run off our linux
> server like php groupware e groupware etc. At present we are using
> exchange.

Continue using Exchange: use one of

	Evolution and the Exchange connector "widget"

	Thunderbird??

	Citrix Metaframe and the ICA client software (commercial and
	expensive - but it means you can talk direct to a Windows
	Terminal Server)

> Any body got any ideas on the office side of things ?
> may be a remote x session but don't really want them to have to log out
> of there existing session to do this.

Crossover Office and MS Office :(

OpenOffice 2.0

> These system are CAD station running Catia
>
> so open to ideas. By the way hardware and software for each seat is in
> the region of 35K Shame it does not run on Linux !!

Catia v5 _does_ run on Linux - Google for Catia and Linux confirms it
as more than a mere rumour and the first hit suggests it might even
install - it's just that Dassault haven't decided whether to release it
or not - and IBM aren't supporting it yet. I'm sure they will - though
most of the stuff I've just seen suggests that the Windows version is
better/faster/best thing since sliced bread (for relatively small
stuff - say less than 35000 items :)