[Glastonbury] Ubuntu + sound on a Dell Inspiron 8200

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 14:26:22 BST 2005

Can anyone help me here?

I've forgotten how to log in as root under Ubuntu (I seem to remember you
have to su to root and enter a password, but I can't remember the exact
process -- could someone refresh my memory please? -- then we'll have it
for all time in the list archives.)

Also; is anyone on-list running sound on a Dell Inspiron 8200?
It uses the ac97 chipset -- which is the one giving me nightmares on the
Toshiba Satellite -- works perfectly under kernel 2.4.x; but is as silent
as the grave under 2.6.

All and any suggestions gratefully received.

[All above queries are for the benefit of Patrick who's just joined the
list.]