[Glastonbury] Ubuntu + sound on a Dell Inspiron 8200

Greg Browne greg.browne at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:52:51 BST 2005

I run a couple of AC97 sound chip computers. I found that ubuntu/kubuntu
occasionally switch the sound system to autodetect, after an update, so had
to go into the system setup (Control centre) and change the audio device to
ALSA under 2.6, but I doubt from your mail that it is that simple.

Control Center
Sound and Multimedia
Sound system
hardware
select audio device
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture

I understood that you couldn't get into root in k/ubuntu as such.
In a terminal the advice is to type
sudo [your command without the square brackets]
password

That works for me.

Greg