[Glastonbury] Booting from external drive

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Sat Oct 22 09:49:02 BST 2005

My old laptop fried a couple of weeks back and I now have a new one.

Now, I have turned the hard drive of the original into an external USB
drive and I notice that the new laptop tries to boot from it if it is
plugged in. It fails, just hangs on grub for obvious reasons.

So, what I'd like to do is modify the external so that it boots into the
linux partition on itself... at present, presumably the master boot
record on the external drive tells grub to look on the linux partition
for its config... the physical location of that partition has presumably
changed so the reason that grub is hanging is that's looking on the new
laptop's hard drive for grub info and - of course - because there is
nothing there it can go no further.

I'd like to be able to boot into my old Linux so would welcome any help
anybody could give as to what I need to do to make the external drive
boot to itself and, furthermore, to the Linux rather then XP partition
(though dual-boot is fine is that is how it happens).

I'd like to leave the MBR on the new laptop's harddrive as is if
possible, so if the USB drive is plugged in we get Linux and if it is
not we get Windows (which the wife & daughter like)

Any help gratefully received.