[Glastonbury] Ubuntu + sound on a Dell Inspiron 8200

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Sat Oct 22 09:25:49 BST 2005

Martin Wheeler wrote:

> I've forgotten how to log in as root under Ubuntu (I seem to remember
> you have to su to root and enter a password, but I can't remember the
> exact process -- could someone refresh my memory please? -- then we'll
> have it for all time in the list archives.)

Ubuntu don't like folks logging in as root, hence the whole thing is
geared around sudo and a root password is not set by default.

To set a root password you simply do...

$ sudo passwd

...then type in your *user* password
...then type in your chosen root password twice.

"Job's a good 'un" as they say.