[Glastonbury] Ubuntu + sound on a Dell Inspiron 8200

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Oct 24 11:46:34 BST 2005

On Friday 21 October 2005 14:21, Martin Wheeler was like:
> Also; is anyone on-list running sound on a Dell Inspiron 8200?
> It uses the ac97 chipset -- which is the one giving me nightmares on the
> Toshiba Satellite -- works perfectly under kernel 2.4.x; but is as silent
> as the grave under 2.6.

Ah well, I'm running a couple of Dell Dimensions, which probably aren't
terribly different.

If your soundcard problem is more than just a case of the mixer volumes being
muted, useful info here would be the output of:
$ lsmod | grep ^snd
$ lspci | egrep "(Multimedia|Host bridge)"
and
$ cat /proc/asound/{version,cards,devices,hwdep,pcm}
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim