[Glastonbury] hi can anyone help with this query?

steve steve at fractalsoup.org
Thu Sep 1 19:04:46 BST 2005

"I'm a programmer for IBM and I have a pretty extensive home network.

I am trying to get my IBM PC Server (circa 1995!) to run SuSe linux 9.3.

A bit of a tall order as the server architecture is:

SCSI and RAID:

SCSI card is a Mylex DAC960LB DB1
RAID config is RAID 5 for 4 SCSI hard disks which adds up to a 6 gig
logical partition.
SCSI cdrom (and no the bios doesn't allow a boot from cd - typical of
PCs up until mid 90s)

So I have got some boot disks for Suse 9.3 and I'm running into trouble
with bootdisk2.

It won't boot beyond that in install, noacpi or failsafe mode.

I'm guessing the Suse boot image doesn't like something about my
hardware... don't know what...

Any help you can give me on this would be appreciated. As a last resort
I'm going to look for an old PC to buy which is IDE not SCSI and with a
bootable CDRom - do you know how I might buy one?

I'm basically trying to set up a linux node which can run CVS
(concurrent versions system - code repository for the projects I
freelance on in my spare time) so it doesn't have to be a top notch system.

regards

Michael Asbridge
michael_asbridge at yahoo.co.uk"

thanks