[Glastonbury] hi can anyone help with this query?

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 22:51:55 BST 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 07:03:24PM +0100, steve wrote:
> "I'm a programmer for IBM and I have a pretty extensive home network.
>
> I am trying to get my IBM PC Server (circa 1995!) to run SuSe linux 9.3.
>
> A bit of a tall order as the server architecture is:
>
> SCSI and RAID:
>
> SCSI card is a Mylex DAC960LB DB1
> RAID config is RAID 5 for 4 SCSI hard disks which adds up to a 6 gig
> logical partition.
> SCSI cdrom (and no the bios doesn't allow a boot from cd - typical of
> PCs up until mid 90s)

Use a smart boot manager disk if you can: Google for sbm.

Alternatively, boot with a boot disk from Debian 3.0 net install and
start from there / Slackware boot disks.

SuSE 9.3 may be overkill. On the other hand, if the hardware is IBM
and SuSE 9.3 is supported by IBM, throw it into a helpdesk somewhere :)

> So I have got some boot disks for Suse 9.3 and I'm running into trouble
> with bootdisk2.
>
> It won't boot beyond that in install, noacpi or failsafe mode.

Perhaps because it doesn't like scsi - is there any scsi=<option>
or the equivalent to pass to the boot kernel.

> I'm guessing the Suse boot image doesn't like something about my
> hardware... don't know what...
>
> Any help you can give me on this would be appreciated. As a last resort
> I'm going to look for an old PC to buy which is IDE not SCSI and with a
> bootable CDRom - do you know how I might buy one?

Microbitz ??

> I'm basically trying to set up a linux node which can run CVS
> (concurrent versions system - code repository for the projects I
> freelance on in my spare time) so it doesn't have to be a top notch system.

Doesn't need to be anything much more than a Pentium at 100M with a 4GB
disk or so :)