[Glastonbury] meeting - Jan 10th

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 17:57:19 GMT 2006

Just a reminder to all members that our next meeting is tomorrow night
(Tuesday, Jan. 10th) at 19.00 in the ICT Centre off Benedict Street in
Glastonbury.

As this is our first meeting in this venue, we will be spending some time
getting to know the local kit and installations -- please bring your
laptops to check out connectivity to the projector, network, other
machines, etc.; and your favourite Linux distribution bootable CD(s).

As luck would have it, my latest order for a dozen copies of Ubuntu 5.10
(Farty Ferret?...whatever...) arrived Saturday, so those of you wishing to
pick up a copy shouldn't be disappointed, particularly as Sean has
received his order also, and will be bringing his spare copies along too.
Anyone else who has received their order, please bring along -- I've no
idea how many folks are going to turn up, but it's a good occasion to take
stock.

I'll be providing milk and a few tea-bags (I don't over-indulge in
coffee, and I'm no longer allowed sugar) so if you want to partake of
either of those, someone'll have to provide them separately.

A few spare cables probably wouldn't go amiss either (CAT5; extra
power-points, etc.); I'll also try to remember to bring along a few blank
CDs.

   >>Remember to *clearly label* any personal kit you bring with you.<<

If anyone intends bringing along a 'problem-machine' for fixing, could you
PLEASE let us know in advance via the list, so we can all have a think
about what the problem might be, and how it might be fixed.  (Not much
time now, I know -- but better just-in-time than not-at-all.)

We will also be going through ways of collaborative contribution to the
group website -- members might like to have a think about that; set up
their own sample sites available online; or bring along suitably
configured laptops if they favour alternative software.

And of course, we'll be putting together ideas for the subject of future
meetings -- scribble down your ideas in advance.

See you all there!