[Glastonbury] LUGOG site content management solution

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 18:24:27 GMT 2006

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Phil Wood wrote:

> I'd like to suggest that we use a wiki.

Yes; I'd go along with that.

> There two main problems with wikis a)
> most of them look like wikis

Not true.  (As I understand your objection.)  Most wikis these days come
wwith CSS sytlesheets / themes / skins -- call 'em what you will.

The difference in visual presentation of a wiki and a CMS these days is
negligible.

> b) pages get changed at random by idiots.

Sadly, true.  But having run (and still running) several wikis, experience
shows it isn't as bas as one might think.
Evasive action is usually simple; and effective against the pervs.

>  I've recently been
> looking at pmwiki and there are many sites using it that look nothing like a
> wiki. It has a comprehensive security system so that you can restrict who can
> edit which pages. You can even restrict who can see certain pages. Pages can
> be in groups and these can have their own permissions. So we could have areas
> which could only be viewed by members.

Quite a few wikis do this.
(As there are literally hundreds of wikis to choose from these days, I'm
not going to quote any specifics.)

My own favourite (for looks) is instiki [q.v.] -- but it has a tendency to
go walkies every time Ruby is updated, so I've now thrown it off all my
systems.

I like the wiki used by the Devon & Cornwall LUG (mentioned on this list
before Christmas) -- ewiki [q.v.]

And for wikis that will accept input in either wikitext or Docbook -- ansd
render both -- MoinMoin can't be bettered.

It might also be worthwhile taking a look at oddmuse -- the wiki used by

      http://www.linuxrobots.org/

>  I'd be happy to set up a
> demo site so everyone can have look.

Sean -- any way you can let Phil have editing privileges to the server to
set up a demo?
[And whilst we're at it, I'd like to be able to set up a VLE (Virtual
Learning Environment) on the server, to accompany the LPI classes, if at
all possible.]

> I could also provide free hosting for
> the group if it was needed.

Thanks for the offer --- nice to know.  There are several of us in the
group running our own servers (server-farms?) -- maybe we ought to start
putting together a database of the facilities we can provide?

Cheers,