[Glastonbury] Volunteers + Hardware

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 03:20:47 GMT 2006

At the December meeting, I put out a cry for help for volunteers to share
the workload and help ensure the smooth running of the group, with a vague
sort of outline plan posted to this list in the form of a simple OOO
presentation, for comment.

I'm now happy to say that Tuesday night's meeting produced the first of
our volunteers, in the shape of TimW, our resident hardware expert (well,
he found the switch for the projector!), who has volunteered to act
as Quartermaster, and look after all the bits and pieces we've acquired
over the years.

This is going to be a little more important in the future than it has been
up to now, as AndreW has made the suggestion that we actually bring our
own server to meetings -- then everyone can log into the server, and go
from there out to the internet if wished; OR download the sort of stuff I
was demonstrating on Tuesday to their own machine in situ, rather than
having to go fetch it from the net after the class.  (This is what I was
hoping to do on Tuesday evening, but didn't manage to get my laptop online
in time.)  AndreW has generously offered to bring in one of his own
servers; but I envisage us eventually building our own, with enough hard
disk space to provide for several differnet distributions to boot into,
and use for demo purposes, store stuffon, etc.  (And I've *already* got
the permission for us to store it at the Centre -- drip, drip, drip...)
Exciting times ahead!

Also, we still need people to help out as keyholders -- currently there's
only myself, with Sean and Kelvin agreeing to help out if I'm not
available to open up / close the Centre down for any reason; but it would
be far more suitable if there were three of us, resident in Glastonbury,
who could share this responsibility.
Any further takers?  (Steve?  TimH?)

And any other volunteers for the other stuff I mentioned -- anyone like to
take on events organisation, for example?

In the meantime, our next meeting is on Tuesday, February 14th, when
AndreW will present the h-e-r-e-t-i-x distribution;  and the h-e-r-e-s-y
mail server.