[members at lugog] Skull duggery

stoker stoker at headweb.co.uk
Wed Apr 21 19:43:49 UTC 2010

hia,
depends on the app somewhat, however I have had some success with
Audacity, which has a mic input already to go on screen, and it might be
possible to pipe the input from the command line utility called arecord.

an example of this on my Fedora 10 system is..

arecord -D plughw:0,0 -f S16_LE -c1 -r22050 -t raw -d 600 | lame -r -s
22.05 -m m -b 64 - /home/samples/myfilename_`date +%F_%T`.mp3

and i run it as a cron job, in a script to process the times and dates
as cron doesn't seem to like the date and time parameters..

As you can see above the arecord program pipes the input to lame and I
get some sort of mp3 out the other end with the date and time added to
the filename automatically, the "-d 600" part of the line above makes
600 seconds of sound file, and is adjustable , of course and your sound
card might supply some different parameters for arecord itself.

I haven't tried to use some other app apart from the above examples ,
but at a guess arecord  might pipe it wherever you want if your app will
pick it up.

arecord and aplay are part of the alsa-utils package, however there's
some issues with pulse audio  vs alsa-utils I've heard, I've not got
pulse audio installed so I'm not speaking from experience there......

regards to every one on the list.....be home soon, so i can actually get
to the meetup this month.

stoker