[members at lugog] Query please re a Linux problem

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed May 5 22:31:38 UTC 2010

Ros Williams <ros.williams at wccl.co.uk>
> Can anyone help please? I'm not a tecchie. Using Mandriva Linux
>
> If I press pr screen key by accident several times, ie meaning to hit
> backspace several times and catching pr scr which is next to backspace on my
> keyboard, result is print screen dialog box opens over and over, and seems it
> will go on indefinitely. Had this problem for years. Seems can only to get
> out of it by logging off. Curious that this irritating repeating key is next
> to a much-used key rather than well out of the way somewhere...

Sounds like a keyboard fault or just possibly a configuration mistake
or bug.  I don't know Mandriva well, but I'd check the log files for
any clues (probably .xsession-errors file in the home folder), go
grubbing around the Keyboard settings and make sure the layout is set
correctly, try switching to a console and see if top or ps or pstree
shows what is going wrong, then go asking on web forums linked from
mandrivalinux.com

If the problem's been around for years, has it survived upgrades?

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software