[members at lugog] Introduction

john lewis johnlewis at hantslug.org.uk
Sun Nov 21 13:55:12 UTC 2010

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 11:18:55 +0000 (GMT)
MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> Mark Fraser wrote:
> > On Sunday 21 Nov 2010 08:19:36 Sean Miller wrote:
> > > http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/11/unity-to-embrace-wayland-display-server/
> > >
> > > For those "more in the know" what would this mean to the non-techy
> > > user?  Would they see much difference in terms of "user
> > > experience" (barring "less flicker" or whatever) or is this just
> > > similar to the various different sound drivers that exist or
> > > proFTP vs. ANO?
> >
> > The only thing that concerns me at the moment is that Wayland is
> > incompatible with the proprietary drivers from Nvidia and AMD.
> > Nvidia have also said that they have no plans to make drivers
> > compatible with Wayland.
>
> I'm not so concerned about that.  Proprietary drivers are a bug.
> What does concern me is the idea of running X applications through
> a compatibility layer.  Won't that be slower, or does the better
> performance of the lighter-weight Wayland compensate for it?
>
> I found this interesting in the quote from Mark Shuttleworth: "We
> don't believe X is setup to deliver the user experience we want, with
> super-smooth graphics and effects."  It says "we want".  I'm not so
> sure most users care about graphic bling as long as the user interface
> doesn't suck.  And good as the user interface is, even the most
> enthusiastic supporter should admit it still sucks in a few ways (but
> sucks less than alternatives).

Personally I couldn't care less what Mark Shuttleworth & the Ubuntu
gang do. I'll still go along with what Debian does.

I also couldn't care less about graphics 'effects' like the 3D stuff
some people seem to like. I don't need 'em and wont be using 'em.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid