[members at lugog] Introduction

john lewis johnlewis at hantslug.org.uk
Sun Nov 21 22:27:42 UTC 2010

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:55:19 +0000
Ian Dickinson <i.j.dickinson at gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>
> majority of people surveyed did not actually know the difference
> between an operating system, a web browser and Google. In terms of
> behaviour, what "most people" want is - in my view - (i) smooth
> streaming video when they're watching youtube videos or TV/movies on
> demand, and (ii) games that play well (noting that gaming is a bigger
> market than movies now [1]).
<snipped>

I have (almost) never used my computer for playing games and rarely
watch anything from youtube and never have I even wanted to view
on-demand TV movies, so I certainly do not fit into the category
that perhaps Ubuntu intends to serve.

OK! so I know I am an an old fuddy-duddy, I am after all getting on
for 80 years, but I have just bought an e-reader (a Sovos as it
happens) so am not too far behind the times.

X handles all the apps I am ever likely to want pretty well.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid