[members at lugog] Introduction:

jason trunks kinasis.drummer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 17:17:14 UTC 2010

Wow, I really opened up a can of worms there didn't I?!
Sorry! My 'newbie distro' comment was just a casual one, not intended to
start any flame-wars or any overly-serious debates!

It was just in reference to the way that some people in the *nix community
tend to look down on Ubuntu and Ubuntu users as if they are inferior!
Basically in my own self-deprecating style I was saying to anybody who might
hold that kind of opinion that "Yes, I know you view me as a clueless fool
for using Ubuntu, but I don't care, I happen to like the OS!" heh heh! :)

Of course, that's not to say that there actually IS anybody here who holds
that opinion of Ubuntu users!

Personally I'll use any distro that works best for me and my hardware. And
from a productivity viewpoint; out of of all the distro's I've tried so far,
I find it far quicker to get my preferred development environment set-up and
running in Ubuntu. However, given my history I don't tend to stick with any
distro for TOO long.
I spent a year and a half or so as a Fedora user, then I switched to
OpenSuse for a few months before settling into Ubuntu for just over two
years and counting. And in that entire time I've tried LiveCD's and installs
of countless distros on my test machines. But for some reason, I always seem
to favour the Debian and Debian-derived distro's, Ubuntu in particular....
I'm not sure what it is about them!

Oh and in case anybody was wondering, I don't use Linux professionally. At
work I have to use Windows (not my choice!). But I run Linux on all of my
home PCs. I've got a laptop and a tablet PC for my programming projects and
for general family/day to day use (both running Ubuntu for the last couple
of years) and an old desktop and laptop which I use for trying out different
distros and generally tinkering about with. So I've got plenty of scope to
mess around with different flavours of *nix! (when I have time!)

Anyway, apologies if I caused any offense or outrage in my previous post. I
assure you none was meant!
And apologies again if there was anything contentious in this post!

Cheers for now,
Jas.