[members at lugog] Introduction:

john lewis johnlewis at hantslug.org.uk
Thu Nov 25 23:27:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 22:49:18 +0000
Graham Lucas <graham.lucas at gmail.com> wrote:

> But there's no really easy entry into Linux, and it won't get a
> really wide acceptance until there is.
>
> I don't want to use Linux for Linux sake; I want to use an operating
> system that isn't Microsoft. Or Apple for that matter, who I actually
> think are worse.
>
> And until it gets wider acceptance it's going to be difficult for
> people to use the programs they need. I for instance need QuickBooks
> and Sage and it's no use telling me there are opensource equivalents,
> my clients and there accountants use the programs above and I have to
> use them too.
>
> So is there a Linux I can just turn on and use in the same way that I
> can use Windows or OSX?

I guess that if you purchased a computer with a modern distro already
installed it would be as simple to use as windows or OS/X for anyone
not conditioned to those systems.

The real problem is when you need to use proprietary programs like
quickbooks or sage if the open source alternatives are not acceptable
for some reason. Until the suppliers of those packages can be
persuaded to release unix compatible versions you will have problems.

I came up with this last week when I tried to submit an on-line annual
balance sheet to Companies House and found their Adobe template didn't
work with Linux and had to fire up windows XP on the laptop in order to
submit it. However I have been told that next year I will be able to
use Linux as Companies House are updating things to make that possible.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid