[members at lugog] Re Introduction

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Fri Nov 26 09:19:09 UTC 2010

On 26 November 2010 09:10, Alan Levett <alan at hidown.plus.com> wrote:
> The newest version of the different Linux Distro's will work on virtually
> anything, 'tho' a '486 is pushing it a bit now.

Well, that's partly true.

Older machines might be better on something like xubuntu rather than
ubuntu (for instance)... I am not sure about Debian etc. and how it
manages that aspect of it, but I assume - from what I know of Debian -
that you probably choose when you install how much "eye candy" you
want etc.

Am I correct there, Debian folks?

Last time I used things like SuSE, Red Hat, Fedora and their ilk they
all seemed somewhat "bloated" but - as we know - there are SO many
distros around there will be a Linux that will work on pretty much any
hardware.

I recall going with Martin Wheeler to a Linux Expo or similar at
Olympia and meeting up with Andy Cater who appeared to be working on
the basis that he'd make Debian run on any platform if asked.  I think
he had some Sparcstation or similar than he'd just got it running on,
and was looking very pleased with himself! :-)