[members at lugog] Ubuntu hardware compatibility list

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Apr 8 11:42:47 UTC 2011

Ian Dickinson <i.j.dickinson at gmail.com>
> Does anyone know where I can find an up-to-date HCL for Ubuntu 10.10?
> One of the machines here at work had a h/w failure of on the
> on-motherboard NIC. After putting in an off-the-shelf PCI network card
> from the local PC store in Portishead, the pc won't boot (it just
> hangs during the boot). The driver supplied with the card won't
> compile because of changes in the kernel. I found one list of
> compatible NIC's on the Ubuntu wiki, but the entries are all from ~
> 2007 and we can't find any of them on sale locally.

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ is a debian one, but it wants PCI IDs
to check.

The database is at http://kmuto.jp/svn/hcl/trunk/prog/pci-device.xml
which might help, though.

Hanging during boot sounds like a driver or settings problem,
rather than a lack of compatibility.

Good luck!
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work through http://www.software.coop/