[members at lugog] Hi

Matt Baker m at wheres.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 08:55:37 UTC 2011

On 04/11/2011 16:03, GARY SEVIOUR wrote:
> I forgot to mention in my long post yesterday that Ubuntu vs Arch.
> Ubuntu is like buying a car (An Audi perhaps?), Arch is like building
> one from a selection of parts.

Was once a gentoo user for the same reason and decided I had less time
to manage my machines as they broke on every package update and opted
for devoting more time to work on the infrastructure I was supporting.
If you actually want to use your computer for something other than
learning about Linux then you're better off going for something that
"just works"(tm).

> Which distro(s) do other lugogers use?

Debian. (Apart from sending this on a Mac (which I am in the middle of
installing Debian on)). Have used Debian for about 12 years now and it's
by far the most stable OS I've used. Would be a good replacement for
those who like Ubuntu, but don't like their heavy handed enforcement of
desktop standards. Ubuntu after all is based on Debian. It's great for
those who want an OS which follows a rigid package maintenance and
release program, least amount of functionality change between releases
so no surprises, great security adherence, ... It has a massive
community and has received many awards http://www.debian.org/misc/awards.

Other OSes that I've had reasonable success with or have heard others
raving about; Fedora (free/dev version of RedHat, good for a corporate
environment or a web server, downside with all rpm (except Suse) based
distros is you need to mix 3rd party repos which makes dependency
resolution and package updates less stable), Scientific Linux (like
CentOS, tracks RedHat Enterprise Linux but has a large community which
releases security updates faster), FreeBSD (OK not Linux but it's great
for a network device or security hardened box, performance is better in
some respects and has that DIY element like Arch and Gentoo), Gentoo
(great if you want to learn how a Linux machine is tied together, has
some great tools for distributed package and configuration management,
downside is that you'll spend all day every day either recompiling or
fixing package build problems).

Matt