[Gllug] [Fwd: Re: [LBC] Demon]

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 17:03:59 UTC 2001

Jon Masters wrote

>>Once upon a time, they were planning to have redundancy cause fewer
>>points of failure.
>>

>The box that failed was a Black Diamond from Extreme (probably one of
>those quad redundant monsters). It's always been my opinion that it is
>better to have several less monsterish boxen than one mother fskcing
>thing which only one person understands and which can take out the whole
>damn system.

Errr... well no.

If you have a high bandwidth network which needs either the port density or
the backplane bandwidth of a switch like this then you need it.

The prudent network admin has a maintenance contract,
maybe spare parts like PSUs on site,
plus a copy of the switch configuration on a TFTP server.

(Recently one of our switch/routers blew a power supply.
I had patched in a temporary solution via another similar router with
spare ports
within the hour, and had an engineer from NBASE in with replacement kit
by lunchtime).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk