[Gllug] NTL wireless

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 18:36:46 UTC 2001

On Mon 20 Aug, john.hearns at framestore.co.uk wrote:
> This just in from Slashdot
>
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/08/20/1240200&mode=flat
>
> But, arrghhh, they only want Windows.
> Anybody got technical contacts in NTL?
>
> By the way, I note one of their antenna points is Guys Hospital.
> I used to work there - good location.
> (But I'll try to keep my under the breath mutterings about the NHS
> making money from mobile phone masts down.
> Oh, and also about the banning of mobiles in hospitals, yet the
> antennas are welcomed on the roof...)

   Aerials can be extremely efficient; local residents complained about lack
of signal when new aerials were fitted at the top of Crystal Palace mast,
and someone had to climb up and fit a small deflector to give them something
to look at.
   I agree about Guy's Hospital, there is quite an aerial farm up there. I
was on top during the Jubilee celebrations, and we had so much RF shielding
on the camera that we needed to keep switching it off to let it cool down,
yet there was still plenty of interference on the picture. Nice view though.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk