[Gllug] He who controls the bootloader

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Aug 29 09:35:54 UTC 2001

On Tuesday, 28 Aug 2001, Tushar Joshi wrote:
>> 	The problem is that while home hobbyist users may be happy to spend
>> a while learning and playing with Linux, corporate users cannot afford that
>> time, and home *non*-hobbyist users need a large incentive to spend it.
>But it seems mainly that corporate users can afford to sit without a
>machine for 3 days while someone tries to fix oulook or a virus infects the
>system or maybe some of their files gets trashed!?

I think this strays off the point a bit; we might well think that
corporates would ultimately be better off with a real OS on the
desktop (perhaps even a luser-friendly GUI OS running on a UNIX core,
but Macs are so expensive :-), but the PC sellers (whose behaviour
we're trying to understand) aren't interested in doing advocacy;
they're just selling machines on the basis of what people are
interested in buying.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk