[Gllug] Whinge

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Fri Aug 31 00:13:29 UTC 2001

On 31 Aug 2001 00:51:13 +0100, Jon Masters wrote:
> I apologise to any female list members who view anything I have said as
> sexist - this is NOT my intent however I appreciate we all view things
> differently, such is the nature of the world in which we live.

This is going to get messy. Jon, I don't see why you're apologising.
Companies hire good looking, confident, sexy women in order to promote
products. It's an incredibly basic example of classical conditioning. A
car isn't sexy. You run an advert with Claudia Schiffer sitting inside
it naked. The car's now sexy, and it's going to sell more, even though
the one you get doesn't have Claudia Schiffer inside.

There was a particularly shocking example of this at LWE earlier this
year in New York; myself and a gang of tech writers were wandering
around, and we ended up interviewing the booth babes and writing an
article[1] about it. Some were from pro advertising agencies, some just
toured linux expos and actually knew their stuff, some had /minor roles
on TV shows/. Some were dressed in Latex as devils, some had police
uniforms on. And it wouldn't be done if the companies didn't think their
software would sell more.

So, there's a point here. While this is appalling, you shouldn't be shot
down on and off-list for making a joke about it.

Okay, I'm done.

~C.

[1]: "Booth Bunnies - More Than Fluff":
www.binaryfreedom.com/content.php?content_id=16