[Gllug] Evil Compaq EPK500 and Debian Potato

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 11 20:18:46 UTC 2001

On Mon 06 Aug, Postill, Robert wrote:
> Thanks guys,
> I've got the mouse working (a link did the trick as suggested but I thought
> the Debian install would have created one anyhow, never mind).  However the
> eepro100 driver still hates the card (I am beginning to see its point).  I
> pulled the following from /var/messages:
> The PCI BIOS has not enabled this device!  Updating PCI command 0003 -> 0007
> eth0: Invalid EEPROM checksum 0xff00, check settings before activating this
> device.
>
> I checked the files and there are no conflicts.  Also as a PCI card I
> thought I wouldn't have to specify the address am I wrong?  I set no
> initialisation parameters in the install so I'm wondering whether I should
> have set something for this card.  Intel's site wasn't too forthcoming, a
> list of parameters but nothing to get you started.
>
> Robert.

   Apologies for the very late reply, I have just been re-engineering much
of my setup, and am trying to catch up on my emails.

   I had this problem on two identical motherboards with integral eepro 100.
   The eepro 100 hardware is switched off until the supplied configuration
software is run, this runs a full hardware test before fully enabling the
hardware, so that a faulty unit should not cause problems to a network as it
is installed.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk