[Gllug] tcpd/xinetd

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 14 14:22:42 UTC 2001

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 02:15:31PM +0000, t.clarke wrote:

> Unfortunately neither tcpd or xinetd in its standard form does what I want.
> I added some code to tcpd to allow me to assign a temporary allowable host
> 'on the fly' over a password-protected web page; so I need to use tcpd rather
> than xinetd.

Does this help:

Q. Does xinetd support libwrap (tcpwrappers)?
A. Yes. xinetd can be compiled with libwrap support by passing
--with-libwrap as an option to the configure script. When xinetd is
compiled with libwrap support, all services can use the
/etc/host.allow and /etc/host.deny access control. xinetd can also
be configured to use tcpd in the traditional inetd style. This
requires the use of the NAMEINARGS flag, and the name of the real
daemon be passed in as server_args. Here is an example for using
telnet with tcpd:

service telnet
{
        flags       = REUSE NAMEINARGS