[Gllug] pppd MRU/MTU optimisations?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Aug 23 12:40:34 UTC 2001

Hiya folks.

I'm looking at changing the MRU and MTU settings for my PPP
connection.  As background I have a 115k ppp connection to the
set-top-box provided with Home Choice that forms my net connection.

According to the comments in the config file, the default MTU and MRU
is set to 1500.  The MTU is, apparently, set to your setting unless
the negotiation stage selects something else.

So what are the variables involved in optimising these settings?
There are 40 bytes of header so 1500 would give an effective packet
payload size of 1460 bytes.

I would imagine the defaults are designed for slower ppp links such as
modems, so I may want to make them larger.  Will this improve
performance?  What's a good way to test an improvement in performance?

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk