[Gllug] Firewalling

Dan Kolb daniel.kolb at corpus-christi.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Aug 23 12:48:34 UTC 2001

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Daniel Fairs wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm building a firewall system at the moment, with three NICs: one for the
> internal network, one for the Internet connection (ADSL router), and one for
> a DMZ to host web servers, mail servers, etc. I take it that I can configure
> the 'internal' NIC with DHCP; should I use DHCP to also configure the NIC
> for the DMZ? Or should that be a 'real' IP address?

It depends on what your DHCP setup is :-) The computers on the DMZ
(including the firewall) need real IP addresses if you want to access them
from the Internet at large (unless you want to play about with port
forwarding).

Dan
dankolb at ox.compsoc.net

--I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any comments or
  opinions expressed; don't trust everything you read above--

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk