[Gllug] Whinge

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Aug 30 12:44:27 UTC 2001

On Thursday, 30 Aug 2001, will wrote:
>David Damerell:
><snip> >I would find
>>it much easier to, say, get a working C development environment in
>>Debian than to locate, purchase and install the equivalent software
>>for Windows.
>When I installed openSSH on my linux box I had a couple of dependencies that
>needed addressing rather than just being able to download and use
>putty.

Putty, of course, does not provide an SSH daemon, SCP (yes, there's
putty-scp, but that's a separate download), or an SFTP facility, so
the comparison is somewhat bogus; but what's so hard (or 'needs
addressing') about 'apt-get install openssh'?

>>>and it *is* easier to add new hardware on windows especially for
>>>novice users
>>This is demonstrably false. I am not a novice Windows user and I live
>>with a professional Windows admin; yet my recent hardware change has
>>not been adequately resolved after four hours work and may yet require
>>reinstallation of the OS.
>I don't see how it is demonstrably false.

Er, because I have produced a counterexample; a hardware change that
was agonising under Windows (and I'll bet your novice user would have
had to reinstall under the same circumstances) and trivial under
Linux - and I'll bet other people can produce similar examples.

>defend it so hard.  I think it would be of benefit to the Linux community
>and to the continued development of the platform if Linux users/developers
>recognised that there are parts of the windows OS that are actually not so
>bad or aimed in the right direction at the right level despite all the bad
>stuff.

I think we do recognise that; for instance, they have a graphical
browser which is nearly as good as IE5 Mac. However, ease of hardware
upgrades isn't one of them.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk