[Gllug] Whinge

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Thu Aug 30 12:20:41 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Damerell" <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk>
To: <gllug at linux.co.uk>
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Whinge

<snip> >I would find
> it much easier to, say, get a working C development environment in
> Debian than to locate, purchase and install the equivalent software
> for Windows.

When I installed openSSH on my linux box I had a couple of dependencies that
needed addressing rather than just being able to download and use putty.  On
my work NT box (I am not allowed to use linux for my work desktop) most of
the applications in my start menu were double click installs with a couple
of prompts for c drive or d and do you want a desktop icon.  The
applications were added to the start menu and are available immediatley and
I can't remember the last time I re-booted because ofa software install.
That is easy.  There was no command line and it was novice proof.  I also
found it easy installing SSH because I know how to do stuff like sort out
dependencies but I also can look at that situation from the point of view of
a novice.

> >and it *is* easier to add new hardware on windows especially for
> >novice users
>
> This is demonstrably false. I am not a novice Windows user and I live
> with a professional Windows admin; yet my recent hardware change has
> not been adequately resolved after four hours work and may yet require
> reinstallation of the OS.

I don't see how it is demonstrably false.  When I have plugged kit into a
windows machine it has generally worked, a lot of the time without actually
having to install drivers.  Trying to get my USB working on my home linux
machine however is a different issue.

> The point to this whinge - if there is one - is that even in the areas
> where Windows is traditionally considered superior (like adding new
> hardware), it is actually lacking.

I am not bashing Linux here so I don't know why people seem to want to
defend it so hard.  I think it would be of benefit to the Linux community
and to the continued development of the platform if Linux users/developers
recognised that there are parts of the windows OS that are actually not so
bad or aimed in the right direction at the right level despite all the bad
stuff.  A blinkered approach along the lines of 'Windows is shit and there
is nothing good about it' is pointless and non-productive.

Sorry for the long posts.

Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk