[Gllug] hosting on a ADSL machine

tet at accucard.com tet at accucard.com
Thu Aug 30 10:25:39 UTC 2001

>Both the basic ADSL services (USB and ethernet) in this country have 256K
>upload, not 512K.

Yep, mea culpa. They originally quoted 512, but by the time they
launched, it was down to 256 :-(

>This isn't really true.  I've set a subdomain from my vmlinuz.org domain to
>point to my home static IP address, and it works just fine with no
>involvement from my ISP.

Yes, that's true if you admisiter your own DNS for a domain. Most people
don't, so will need involvement from their ISP.

>I wouldn't really want to 'deploy a production site' on it, mainly
>due to the reliability and speed of the link, but it's certainly a
>good way to play with stuff or to run a private (e.g. friends and
>families only) server.

Agreed. That said, my ADSL line has been pretty reliable. It has failed
3 times so far in the last year or so. All three failures have been due
to the Alcatel router getting confused. Fixed by a quick power cycle...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk