[Gllug] hosting on a ADSL machine

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Thu Aug 30 10:16:54 UTC 2001

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 tet at accucard.com wrote:

> >I am connected to the Internet using BT (btworld) ADSL
> >line. I have a fixed IP address. I would like to host
> >my domain Web pages on a ADSL machine. Will I have any
> >problems hosting pages on it? Any DNS problems? I know
> >that I can not change a rev-DNS but for small website
> >it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Depends on what sort of ADSL you've got. If it's fully routed, then
> no problems (although it'll be slow -- remember you've only got a
> 512K upload speed, which is what people accessing your site will
> see).

Both the basic ADSL services (USB and ethernet) in this country have 256K
upload, not 512K.

> You'll need to get your ISP to set up DNS entries to point to your
> static IP address. Unless you have good reason to do otherwise (e.g.,
> messing around with databases, playing with server configurations etc.)
> you're usually better off using your ISPs web servers anyway. Even for
> databases, there are ISPs that provide that as an option (e.g., Freedom
> 2 Surf provide MySQL or PostgreSQL databases to customers).

This isn't really true.  I've set a subdomain from my vmlinuz.org domain to
point to my home static IP address, and it works just fine with no
involvement from my ISP.  I've run Zope at home as a development platform
(which made my 32Mb machine chug a bit :-) and that was fine too.  I
wouldn't really want to 'deploy a production site' on it, mainly due to the
reliability and speed of the link, but it's certainly a good way to play
with stuff or to run a private (e.g. friends and families only) server.

> Tet

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk