[Gllug] City based hardware

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Aug 28 18:28:18 UTC 2001

On 28 Aug 2001 17:59:39 +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> once more tonight I come cap in hand, does anyone know of a outfit that
> is based Old Street/Hoxton end of the city for minor hardware such as
> ATA66 cables RJ45 connectors etc.  I know PC World is at Moorgate but I
> despise them for a number of reasons but mainly every time their staff
> speak they lie and I just don't want to give them business if I can
> possibly help it.
>
> Help me strike a blow for truth
>
> Jim :-D

Hi Jim,

I work just around the corner from Old Street and normally go to Holborn
Maplin (I think it's the number 55/432 buses or somesuch - I just catch
what comes along Great Eastern Street) which has what you need.

That PC World's quite fun actually, myself and a friend were there a few
weeks ago to ask random non sensical questions and mock their prices.

Personally I was disappointed when I went to a PC World in Cambridge a
few weeks ago - I asked if they had any ``dual SPARC CPU GNU/Linux
laptops'' but unfortunately the guy I asked had a clue and quickly
realised I was just totally ripping the piss. The important thing is not
to laugh because then they can't really claim you knew any better :P
I've only ever been asked to leave PC World on a couple of occasions...I
want a ban dammit.

Best (true) PC World quote from PC World Nottingham:

	``If we can't repair it, we will repair it!''

(Their campaign states that they'll replace what they can't repair but
it took an age to get the drone I spoke to about their faulty signs to
read what was actually written rather than just what was brainwashed in
to him - I wanted to get a copy of the sign but they were already quite
pissed).

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk