[Gllug] another mutt question

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Sat Aug 11 09:19:52 UTC 2001

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 bredroll at irwin.dsh.org.uk wrote:

> ok heres the deal, i have the mail directory from my server mounted over
> nfs in my home network (please no banter about security issues of nfs)
>
> as my workstation frequently packs up, i figured nfs soft mount,
>
> problem, file locking appears to fail so mutt wont let me write to mailboxes...
>
> 'fcntl: No locks available (errno = 37)'
>
> is there a way to make mutt ignore flocking? curiously pine works well in this
> situtation ...

Have a look at http://www.washington.edu/pine/tech-notes/low-level.html#NFS
to see what the pine authors think about mail over NFS.  In short, they
don't really like it, but since people do it, they take precautions to make
sure things don't break too badly.  The last paragraph of the Pine-and-NFS
stuff is:

"If other mail readers besides Pine are involved, all bets are off.
Typically, mailers don't take any precautions against a user opening a
mailbox more than once and no special precautions are taken to prevent NFS
problems."

> bredroll

Cheers
Richard