[Gllug] Skylarov segment on Newsnight

Simon Bunker sibunks at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 6 20:45:41 UTC 2001

> > You cannot "record" Real Video.
> >
> > Gordo
>
> You could do it from audio out - degrading quality of course and missing
> the video - but just a newscast
>
> I seem to remember a Linux / Open source ripping utility for Real Video.
>     It may have just been Real Audio only.

That's how Real works - you use the .ram shortcut to the .rm file so that it
streams, otherwise you just download the file itself. The .smi just makes
the interface a bit prettier (using SMIL I guess) or adds annoying advert
clips (mind you you can do that with .ram too).

The bigger sites you won't be able to http them down - Real has its own
server for dishingout the big stuff - and it don't do http - otherwise why
bother paying for the big expensive Real box when Apache can do it :o) http:
streaming does work, but it's very dodgy....

Simon
http://www.rendermania.com/
UIN 11123737

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk